Recommended Lifetime on Tandem Components
Uninsured United Parachute Technologies has established a recommendation of the “lifetime” of tandem canopies and other components:
- Suspension Lines: 350 – 500 jumps
- F-111 Main Canopy: After 600 jumps, or if porosity level exceeds 12 CFM
- ZP Main Canopy: 1400 – 1600 jumps (Depends on environment)
- Drogue Centerline: 300 jumps
- Drogue Assembly: 600 jumps
- Harness / Container: Inspection every 25 jumps
- Harness / Container: 1000 jumps
- Main Risers: 600 jumps
- Replace old RSLs with brass shackle & welded pins
For Information on mandatory Reserve Canopy recertification, click here.
These recommendations are based on years of observing tandem malfunctions and equipment failure reports. Tandem system owners should maintain a log for each component mentioned above. Different geographical areas present problems that can contribute to accelerated wear-n-tear. (such as Dz’s located near salt water and sand) Due to this fact, certain components may degrade quicker than the above recommended lifetimes.